Important message to TeamSite, LiveSite, and OpenDeploy community.

Today we are pleased to announce another community release for docker support (version 3). As part of this enhancement now applying the patch and upgrade from a previously created container using Docker Orchestration scripts provided by OpenText for TeamSite, LiveSite, and OpenDeploy. We support 16.2 and 16.3 containerization using provided automation scripts. This release marks our third release of docker support for TeamSite, LiveSite, and OpenDeploy.

Please join us on this journey and contribute by engaging on a special focus forum: TeamSite, LiveSite, and OpenDeploy - Docker. To obtain the automation for Docker, log in to MySupport, navigate to Product>OTDN>Web Content Management (TeamSite)>TeamSite, LiveSite, OpenDeploy> Docker Automation>16.3 or Product>OTDN>Web Content Management (TeamSite)>TeamSite, LiveSite, OpenDeploy> Docker Automation>16.2.”

Preparing to Install 16.3 on RHEL 7.3

Because I was unsuccessful in begging OpenText to live up to them supporting version 7.5 till 2020 as they published they would before pulling it back to 1/1/18, I am forced to put myself through another upgrade to a new version - this time 16.3. We are getting everything set up to do a full fresh install rather than an in-place upgrade. The reason for that is our Unix folks want to also upgrade RH from 6.6 to 7.3 and they can't do that in-place, so we will be installing 16.3 on brand new VMs and them copying the backing store. I have never had a smooth major upgrade experience, so I am anticipating nothing different this time around. Has anyone installed 16.3 yet (on Linux) and encountered anything funky that I need to be aware of? I will update this thread with whatever I run into. I believe I have all the libraries installed. I am waiting for my databases to be created and Apache to be installed. These things take forever at my company so I'm probably still a couple weeks out from my first crack at the install.

My old warrior Support Engineer who got me through my last upgrades has moved on to a different job, so I will have a different Support person to help me through and deal with my glowing personality, but she has been pretty awesome so far, so I have high hopes for good support through the fight to get this thing installed successfully.

Answers

• Just grab a fork and stick it into a light socket, it will be quicker. :-)

Actually I have done it already, wasn't too tough. Triple check your libraries, those will bite you in the a$$.

Install and run OD first, that will need openVPN loaded which was missing. Also check your open files setting for Linux, I know that was too low and it crashed. Was not handled too well

• This is great info - thanks Andy. The openVPN thing is especially helpful - missing libraries should have no excuse from being missing in the documentation. They should be ashamed.

Fork is polished and ready...

• Sorry it was not openVPN but openSSL

• I have upgraded one environment from 8.2 to 16.3 and I'm planning to do a 16.3 fresh install in another box. Will post if encounter anything.

• Dumb question: What is CSSDK SOAP Services for? I can't find any document that explains it. Is it something I need/want?

Also, the install docs seem to imply that I should install OpenDeploy before installing TeamSite, but that doesn't seem to be an option. When I run the GUI installer, and choose to install Common Services, it preselects all of the components, including OD and TS, and doesn't allow me to deselect any of them. How do you only install OpenDeploy?

OpenText has not improved upon documentation at all since taking over. OpenDeploy install instructions are:

Installation Instructions
    Start the installer.
    Follow the prompts.

Post Installation Instructions

Good grief.

• Did you download OD bits? With 16.3 OD can be installed using GUI. You need these for OD.

iwovinstaller-linux-16.3.0.0.0.bin
    iwovopendeploybaseserver-linux-16.3.0.0.iwpkg
    iwovopendeploybaseserver-linux-16.3.0.0.iwpkg.md5sum

• edited February 2

Yes I did - it's included in the list of things it wants to install but so is everything else. If I only want to install OD, what are the steps to do that? Is it like Search where I need to put only those files you listed in a separate directory and run the bin from there?

• I copied these files to a separate folder and started the installer. Then I went with 3rd option (No CommonServices).

• Thank you - I'll try that. Sure would be nice if they documented this.

• I agree. Install just OD first. Once it is done start TeamSite installer and install common services along with other TeamSite bits.

• Yes that sounds right. Thanks again.

• FYI for CSSDK Soap, it is unlikely that you will use that. Most people use the Java interface instead of SOAP. If you want an application to work with more than one TS server then you need SOAP, otherwise the Java interface will suffice.

• Thanks Andy - that's helpful. You're right then - I probably don't need that.

Another thing that's not super clear from the docs - do I need to install the OpenDeploy Admin? What's the purpose of the OD Admin? I thought they got rid of this piece a couple versions ago (it was a separate UI). Did they bring it back?

• OD Admin is not required. The Admin UI (which requires root) has OD Admin. But I do know people who give out the OD GUI and let people deploy with it. IMHO, that's a mistake, but it happens.

• I used to use it. Wonder why they brought it back. I installed it. Just like old times. Started the TS install and promptly hit a DB update error. I don't think my awesome DBA set up my user with full DBA privilege, like I told him to about a dozen times. Good times...

I think I remember how to fully delete the TS install, but I may come back and ask you for the sequence of how to get rid of everything.

• The install typically will pick up where it left off.

However I usually clean up and start from scratch

rm -rf /opt/Interwoven/* (assuming you didn't put Java, UVFS, etc in there)
    rm /etc/initi.d/iw*
    rm /etc/iw
    Drop and recreate the DBs (you may not need that)

Start with OD.

• Gracias. I figured this wouldn't go smoothly.

• 16.3 Authoring Components Installation Guide page 160 has steps to clean TS Installation.

• After the 3rd try, TeamSite installed successfully. Now the fun task of configuring everything. We have been asked to try and use LDAP instead of PAM authentication, which is something we haven't done since the first time we installed TeamSite here 8 years ago. I seem to recall that back then, if you went with only LDAP, there was something you lost in the UI - I'm wondering if that's still the case or if LDAP users have all the capabilities of OS users.

• You don't lose UI, you lose the OS users.

That means that Perl TPLs and WFTs cannot run as smitty (because the OS doesn't know about smitty) You have to use XSL or a local account or CGI tasks rather than external tasks.

• So as far as how are users all exist in the backing store based on how they were entered via PAM (when I copy the backing store from our old 7.5.x server), will that all be a mess if I switch to LDAP? Will I need to re-enter all the users? What will the old users look like as far as version history and all that? I just want to know what I'm in for if I decide to make this change now after all these years of doing it the other way.

• You will likely need to reenter the users. Because they are OS users (through PAM) but will now only be LDAP users. That can be scripted.

Fixing the backingstore isn't that hard with iwidmap.

Also what type of groups do you use ? Those will either have to be migrated to LDAP or reentered as TS groups.

• We use TeamSite groups. What do you mean they will have to be migrated to LDAP?

• If you are using TS groups, then no problem, PAM groups would have needed to be moved to LDAP or TS

You may need to recreate teh TS groups with the updated members

• Decided to stick with PAM and scrap switching to pure LDAP - which makes me happy. There's really nothing to gain by moving to LDAP. So far everything is looking good with the 16.3 install. Waiting for our storage team to copy the backing store and then will start the real testing to make sure everything plays nice after the migration. I do like that JBoss seems to start up a bit faster than it did in 7.x. We will not get any benefits from any of the eStudio UI - we just use the old CCPro UI. No LS or SP here.

• Finished the install - almost everything is working properly. Apache 2.4 is not working - that's a mystery but likely due to using a new Apache version and not a new TeamSite version. When checking to make sure they are handling PCI compliance for all login errors, I am seeing a stack trace for "Unexpected authorization failure" when I enter a bad password for a valid user, so that's a problem. The other login cases are testing out fine for PCI. We haven't tested out everything thoroughly yet, but nothing major so far.

• edited March 15

Finally got Apache working. Now just a matter of testing and validating all the little things. The login PCI error is not a showstopper, but OpenText is being very Interwoven-y about helping with it. We are on RHEL 7.3 and when I downloaded 16.3 in January and installed it, the Release Notes stated clearly that 16.3 supports RHEL 7.x. Well evidently since I installed it a new version of the Release Notes was published that says "never mind what we said before, we really only support RHEL 7.1". It is maddening. So I now can get no support for anything that may possibly remotely appear as if it's Linux related. They can just wash their hands of it and point smugly to this new version of the Release Notes and proclaim "Nuh-uh, loser!". As if I can easily just re-do everything with a new OS and erase the last 2 months of work. Maddening.

This is like the "we will support 7.5 till 2020" and then "maybe no one saw that we said that - we decided we will only support 7.5 until 2018". Except we did see it and they didn't care anyway. It's just wrong but they know they can get away with it. Until too many people move to the other platform I guess.

• @David Smith said:
    Finally got Apache working. Now just a matter of testing and validating all the little things. The login PCI error is not a showstopper, but OpenText is being very Interwoven-y about helping with it. We are on RHEL 7.3 and when I downloaded 16.3 in January and installed it, the Release Notes stated clearly that 16.3 supports RHEL 7.x. Well evidently since I installed it a new version of the Release Notes was published that says "never mind what we said before, we really only support RHEL 7.1". It is maddening. So I now can get no support for anything that may possibly remotely appear as if it's Linux related. They can just wash their hands of it and point smugly to this new version of the Release Notes and proclaim "Nuh-uh, loser!". As if I can easily just re-do everything with a new OS and erase the last 2 months of work. Maddening.

This is like the "we will support 7.5 till 2020" and then "maybe no one saw that we said that - we decided we will only support 7.5 until 2018". Except we did see it and they didn't care anyway. It's just wrong but they know they can get away with it. Until too many people move to the other platform I guess.

Hey Smitty

Looking at the release notes for 16.4 Beta, it lists RHEL 7.X (max of 7.,2)

You must have found some issue with the higher version they never caught.

• Got the official word yesterday that they are going to support RHEL 7.4 and 7.3 in 16.3. We made a pretty big stink about it. You can't publish 7.x and then go back and say "just kidding" in a later revision. That's just really really bad practice. We did find an issue but they clearly have not tested many of the X releases. You kind of trust they did when they say it's supported, though.