OpenText Communities: various questions

jpg90jpg90 Long Time DCTM Guy

Hello,

I'm a relative newbie to the OTEX way of doing things. I'm here because OpenText acquired the Documentum business from Dell EMC. So, here are my questions:

1. Where do we post questions or report problems about the OpenText Communities? The "Best Practices" category does not seem to be the best place.

2. Are there any resources to help orient those community members that have come over here primarily due to the ECD acquisition? It's not really about using the discussion platform. It's more about where to find stuff and how to do things that was commonplace previously.

3. What is the difference between the "Documentum Support Forum" category and the "Documentum" category? The latter's description suggests it is the migrated "Documentum Developer Community", but there is a lot of other stuff in there as well. If the Documentum category is for developers, it should be renamed.

4. Are there any plans to migrate over the actual accounts? Many people devoted lots of time and effort to be a visible part of the community.

5. Has anyone at OpenText been told the horror stories the online Documentum community had to suffer through after the acquisition by EMC? If not, please ask some old timers about Powerlink. Please. I'm serious.

Thank you for your time.

Best,
JPG.

Best Answer

• David SciutoDavid Sciuto admin
    edited January 25 Accepted Answer

JPG,

Thank you for asking us. I will try to respond to each of your questions. If I'm unable to answer the question, I will locate an expert at OpenText who can help. My responses to your questions are within:

@jpg90 said:
    Hello,

I'm a relative newbie to the OTEX way of doing things. I'm here because OpenText acquired the Documentum business from Dell EMC. So, here are my questions:

Welcome! We're glad you've joined us.

1. Where do we post questions or report problems about the OpenText Communities? The "Best Practices" category does not seem to be the best place.

If you have general questions about the OpenText forums, please post them, for now, in "General --> Best Practices." We are discussing adding a second forum under General for questions like yours. I agree that Best Practices, as the description on the forum states, is a better thread for tips and tricks contributed by community members or questions regarding help with a best practice.

1. Are there any resources to help orient those community members that have come over here primarily due to the ECD acquisition? It's not really about using the discussion platform. It's more about where to find stuff and how to do things that were commonplace previously.

You can use our search utilities throughout the OpenText Community. They are located, for example in My Support and here in the forums. If you're unable to find something, please post a question, and we'll help get you to the right place. Please note that currently, if you're looking for specific documents and binaries and unable to find them in My Support, you may need to post a request temporarily here with a request for the files you need. We are still in the process of setting up the vast library of Documentum files that were located on the ECD communities.

1. What is the difference between the "Documentum Support Forum" category and the "Documentum" category? The latter's description suggests it is the migrated "Documentum Developer Community", but there is a lot of other stuff in there as well. If the Documentum category is for developers, it should be renamed.

That is a good point. At ECD, the two forums you mentioned were separated because one was an open forum and the other (Dev) was closed and available to developers only. Here, we do not have the distinction of open and closed forums within our product membership. Thus, your point is well taken. I will discuss this with the systems team. Perhaps the forums can be combined here.

1. Are there any plans to migrate over the actual accounts? Many people devoted lots of time and effort to be a visible part of the community.

That is a question for our systems team. I will forward your question and email address to them for clarification.

1. Has anyone at OpenText been told the horror stories the online Documentum community had to suffer through after the acquisition by EMC? If not, please ask some old timers about Powerlink. Please. I'm serious.

JPG, if you have some time and would like to speak to me about this, and other issues, I'd be glad to set up a time to chat. I invite you to contact me! See my profile for contact information.

Thank you for your time.

Best,
    JPG.

David Sciuto
    Community Program Manager | Online Support

Answers